Written by Matthew Cannata | Twitter: @PhinManiacs
With a new offensive line coach in Miami for the 2014 season in John Benton, you will notice a new type of blocking going on when the team kicks off the preseason on Friday night. Besides the typical zone blocking scheme that you already may be familiar with, the Dolphins will incorporate a cut-blocking style that targets defensive linemen's lower legs on running plays. Cut-blocking is the norm in zone-blocking schemes but in order to pull it off, you need athletic linemen to make it happen. Last year, the Dolphins didn't have these types of players so when they did try to cut-block, they weren't very successful.
"When we get a chance to start cutting some guys on the backside, really start opening some of those holes I think we'll have some chances," said Daryn Colledge.
Cut blocking is controversial though as defensive players don't like it since it targets their leges, which increases injury. While the NFL has discussed banning it, no decision was ever finalized.
"The only thing I can tell you right now is that it's looked better in training camp so far than I remember it looking in prior training camps. That's the one thing that my eyes have seen so far," coach Joe Philbin said. "Obviously, we haven't seen it in a game yet, but I liked what I've seen. I like the space we've created."
Latest Dolphins News